Friday, March 12, 2010

Picture Book Musings

I decided to enter a contest in our local library. This contest is about making a picture book. This was the first time I attempted such an endeavor. It has been quite an experience writing a story as well as doing the pictures to match the words!

I began by thinking up the story. Given that I used to tell my son stories when he was very young, I had grown used to the idea of animals talking and doing quite interesting feats. So I put my creative hat on and wrote the story. It is nothing like a novel, that usually takes close to two years for me to finish. I was practically done with the picture book story in one week!

However, that was not the end of it. I had to make the pictures. That is where my nine year old son came in. We have this weekly event at home where we each have 15 minutes to give a lecture on any topic we choose. My son's presentations have been accompanied by computer graphics, of which he had designed himself. So he knew quite a bit on how to use the computer.

So here is a nine year old helping his educated mom draw pictures on the computer. But I/we managed and after several attempts at drawing with one finger instead of a brush, I think I have done a remarkable job of it. My story has come to life with some interesting characters, enough to keep my son laughing and continuously pestering me as to see the next finished page.

If the picture book wins anything, it gets to be published and will sit in the library so little children can read it. If it does not win anything, it might just crop up somewhere on the web for general enjoyment.

Whatever the outcome, I have had much pleasure in the process of being creative, and with a little help from my son. Oh, and much support and encouragement from my husband, too!

Until next time.

No comments: