Sunday, November 18, 2012

Why I Write About Greek Themes

Isn't this a beautiful picture of the Parthenon? 
It is located in Athens
So memorable, it stands out  
In my mind for a long time.


I was born in this country, but 
Raised up in the United States.

Yet how can I forget to be Greek -
When I speak the language,
Attend the Greek Orthodox church,
Eat a Mediterranean diet
And am married to a Greek man.
All these are reminders 
Of my Greek heritage.

Yet how can I ignore my American
Way of life that has given me
Everything, my education, 
Endless opportunities to achieve
Higher realms of possibility
And my writing, yes my precious writing.

To write what I know
Is to breathe Greece into my stories
The Greek way of life, filled with 
Emotion
Family
Religion
Love
Music
Food


I invite you to join me in 
This journey I have taken, 
To another world, where life
Is meant to be enjoyed, and
Love reigns in every way

To triumph over evil

To erase the world of today
To imagine a better world
A better way of life
This journey I capture
In my writing.
Will you join me?
 
 

 

No comments: