Monday, December 10, 2012

Strep Throat and 2012 Movie






Not too long ago, I found myself nursing strep throat. There was only one other time in my life that I had experienced this, and it was in college. 

I had forgotten all about the nasty symptoms, and now years later, all the aches, pains, fever, and inability to keep food down gnawed at me with a vengeance. A visit to the Urgent Care confirmed that I had the strep throat, so antibiotics were in order and lots of sleep. Everything that I would normally do became a painful chore, like walking. Couldn't even keep water down. Little sips. Little baby steps.

So that's what I did. Of course I was not alone, my whole family got sick in some form or another. A younger family member got the strep first, and an older member got a much lighter version of it. I was somewhere at the end. At first, I was saying how lucky I was not to catch it. I was taking care of everyone else, tending to their needs, etc. And then it hit me like a sledgehammer. Whammo, I was laid up and now my husband was nursing me. I love that man! He is so good to me! 

We all took turns in some way or another getting sick. As the nurse told me, "You're spreading the Love around." Of course she was kidding, right?

So, now, I'm at the stage of the disease, where I was able to sit up for more than 5 minutes in an awake state of mind, and able to keep some food down. My brain was functioning enough so that my husband and I decided to do something we don't normally do, watch a modern movie. We typically watch old movies, but somehow the 2012 movie, the one that came out in 2009, was the one we watched.

Boy, did that movie wipe out any thoughts of strep throat completely out of my mind! Strep? What strep? These people were fighting for their lives in a fast-paced, action packed dooms-day scenario of the end of the world.  Destruction everywhere, so that you're on the edge of your seat and afraid to go back to sleep in case you'll never wake up.

So if you want to get over strep, watch the 2012 movie! That'll cure anything!

No comments: