Monday, December 13, 2010

Great Cookies

I've spent a lot of time these past few years at the Borders bookstores. One of my favorite activities is to go there with my family and drink coffee and eat their delicious oatmeal cranberry cookies. However, recently, this activity lost its luster when the local store began putting on music that was quite loud and almost hard-rock style, too extreme. I could not concentrate in this atmosphere, as a lot of my writing/reading takes place at the cafe. So I politely asked that it be lowered. I even wrote to the Headquarters regarding this music. What happened to the light classical, string, or soft music that is wonderful for reading and reflecting? It doesn't seem to
count as part of Borders customer service. Since then, we have literally stopped going to the Borders store. I do not miss the music, I do not miss the coffee, but I do miss the oatmeal cranberry cookies!

So the other day, I played around with an oatmeal raisin cookie recipe and replaced the raisins with dried cranberries. What a scrumptious treat! Even better than Borders! Below is the cookie recipe I used (I use only organic ingredients):

1 cup all purpose flour
2 cups oatmeal
2/3 cup melted butter
1 cup light brown sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup dried cranberries
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Melt the butter, let cool slightly. Add sugar to the butter and mix well. In large bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder. Add butter mixture to the flour and stir. Add oatmeal, cranberries and vanilla. Mix well.

Cover a baking sheet with baking paper. Drop tablespoons of cookies mixture onto baking paper.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until tanned underneath.
Let cool.

No comments: