Saturday, September 24, 2011

Listening to Voskopoulos

Tonight I'm listening to Tolis Voskopoulos sing H Agapi Theli Fantasia. It is a beautiful song and I grew up watching his movies and listening to his songs. He has such a beautiful voice. He and Julio Inglesis. But right now, Tolis Voskopoulos has all my attention.

The song is about love - that it requires fantasy, and is forgiving. This song is set to the hasapiko rhythm, where a few people get in a line and do an intricate dance.

Here is the link to it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrlrLgFfSYc

I grew up in a suburb of Cleveland. My family was very involved in the Greek community - church, choir, Greek organizations, the works.
There were five girls in my family. When we would go to a Greek dance, we would form our own dance line and became very good dancers, learning all the different steps. There's the kalamatiano, which is the most basic dance and basically a walking dance, going right so many steps, then left, etc. Then the Roditiko, the Sousta, and my all time favorite Hasapiko. Dancing was a very significant part of my life, and when I minored in Music and Theatre, several of my classes were Modern Dance classes. But how things have changed since my twenties. Now I'm a lot older, a middle-aged mother, wife, and author. However, with a twinkle in my eye, I just got up and did a Hasapiko listening to my dear Tolis Voskopoulos sing. Opa!! May the spirit of Greece live forever in the hearts of everyone!

No comments: