Wednesday, September 14, 2011

September 14 Feast Day of the Holy Cross

Today is September 14, a day celebrated by Greeks all over the world as the Feast Day of the Holy Cross. In 326, St.Helen, the mother of the emperor Constantine, discovered the Holy Cross that was buried in Jerusalem. This was a great moment. The Church of the Holy Sepulchre was built on that same spot.

I have my own story intimately related to this day. When I was a young girl of about 8 or 9 years old, I had lost my gold cross while at school. Three days later, on September 14, as I was walking on the sidewalk of the school, a black girl came towards me, holding the cross and asking me "Did you lose this cross?"
I was so happy to see it, because it had been given to me by my godmother and had several delicate carvings that make it unique to other crosses. I thanked her and took it. I never saw her again.

When I returned home that day from school, I told my mother the story and she became very, very happy. She being a reverent Greek Orthodox christian said "This is the Day of the Holy Cross! It is a sign! You lost the cross three days ago and now it was given to you. You were meant to have this cross given to you."

So I do believe in miracles, especially on this day.

God bless,
Patty

No comments: